Sunday, March 18, 2012

Tasting - Lost Vineyards Vinho de Mesa Tinto

Name: Lost Vineyards Vinho de Mesa Tinto

Variety: Tinto
Region: --
Country: Portugal
Year: NA
Price: $3.95

Winery Review:  Pours a light garnet color with a nice crisp zest, with aromas of cranberries and orange peel on the nose. Drinks smooth with a briary of mild cherries, wild strawberries and raspberries along with a note of rhubarb. Pairs particularly well with wild game and heavy fish such as salmon.

Ned's Take:
I felt that this wine was worth the very modest price of 4 dollars. I have found that I like a lot of reds from Portugal and this one had some of the characteristics that I like. Even so, it seemed like a pretty basic, dumbed down version of the style. I agree with the review that the main flavors were strawberries and cranberry with a dry delivery. It smelled a bit musty and the fruit was there but lacking. The acid balance felt a bit off and I think that this also hurt the wine. It's hard for me to look down on this wine too much since it is so cheap, but you can tell that they weren't trying to make a complex or quality wine.

Tasted Without Food

No comments:

Post a Comment