Sunday, February 26, 2012

Tasting - Risata Moscato d'Asti

Name: Risata Moscato d'Asti
Variety: 100% Moscato
Region: Asti, Peidmont DOCG
Country: Italy
Year: 2011
Price: $15.95

 Winery Review: This Moscato d'Asti is fresh, fragrant, and frizzante with vibrant, flavors and aromas of ripe stone fruit, tangerines, and honey. The wine is concentrated and flavorful, but not overly rich or heavy; sweet, yet balanced.

Ned's Take: I will admit that the bottle was very cool and I appreciate the styling. That is about all I liked about this wine. This is probably one of the worst wines I have ever tasted, especially for the price it is. The nose was not too bad, but it was not very complex. I mostly smelt honey and maybe some apricot or other summer fruit. The taste is where the wine really fell apart. I don't know what the reviewer was thinking when they said balanced. This wine was so sweet that I probably needed to get checked for cavities afterwards. There may have been some flavor but it was hard to pick up anything over the sickeningly sweet sugar level. To be honest, I thought it tasted almost exactly like a ring pop or push pop. I haven't had either of those in years, but they immediately came to mind. So unless that is what you are looking for in a wine, I would say stay clear.

Tasted Without Food

No comments:

Post a Comment