Sunday, February 12, 2012

Tasting - Frisk Prickly Reisling

Name:  Frisk Prickly Reisling
Variety:  83% Riesling, 17% Muscat Gordo
Country:  Australia
Region:  Victoria
Year:  2011
Price:  $11.95 

Winery Review:
Leave to the Aussies to come up with a tasty value wine with a sassy descriptive name.  frisk is a friskly Reisling with a pleasing level of prickly spritz lifting the ample fruity flavors.  It has a pale straw color, lively bubbles, loads of tropical fruit and jasmine aromas, off-dry fruity flavors, a refreshing 9.8% alcohol, and a sweet/tart finish;  and all that Australian goodness.

Ned's Take:
First thing I noticed about this wine was the bubbles. They were pleasant, but not overwhelming. I would have to say that a lot of sparkling wines are too fizzy for my liking, but this one was manageable. I have always been a fan of reislings so I was excited to try this. The first word that I found to describe this was effervescent. The fizz made the aroma almost overpowering and powerful. I got a lot of the crip, light, fruity aroma that I have come to associate with reisling. The wine was light in body and had very little color. I tasted fruit blossoms as well as fresh pear, apple, and strawberry. There was definitely some sweetness, but it was not that bad. The influence of the moscat grapes was evident. The body was pretty light and smooth, but somewhat one dimensional. Overall, I would say that it was smooth and refreshing, but more of a fun wine than one that should be taken seriously. Feel confident that this is a wine that all of your casual female wine drinkers will love, but you would much rather have this than some sickeningly sweet, one dimensional moscato that seem to be the go-to for many of my female friends. This one has enough sweetness to make it easy drinking, but enough character and balance to keep wine enthusiasts interested.

Tasted without food

No comments:

Post a Comment