Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tasting - Nykteri Santorini Yannis

Name: Nykteri Santorini Yannis

Variety: unknown white grape blend

Region: Santorini

Country: Greece

Year: 2010

Price: $13.95

Winery Review: 
I feel first for the compelling story of this 'night work' wine, and then for the aroma and taste, and can't think of a wine to compare it to. "Nykteri - Dry White Wine Appelation of Origin Santorini of superior quality." Since 3,500 years ago, the Nykteri is synonymous to Santorini's famous white wines. The formula to 'instant wine making' on the night of the same day that the grapes were harvested solved the problem of the variety's sensitive aroma deterioration. The wine is matured for 3 months at least in barrels. In this way the wine's contact with barrel's wood gives the Nykteri a special finesse. Characteristics crystal-clear, semi-yellow wine. Dominated by the aromas of jasmine, citrus fruits, flowers and pear, all these enhanced with a gentle vanilla sense. A strong body with warm personality and a long lasting taste. Serve with grilled anything as well as with local Greek dishes such as tomato meatballs and lava dip.

Ned's take:
I was interested to try this wine since I had never really had a Greek wine. What I found was a flowery taste that had definite citrus tones. The wine had a light, crisp flavor that was enjoyable. My favorite part about this wine was easily the texture and the consistency. It was smooth and felt thicker than any wine I had previously tried. This thick texture reminded me a bit of honey, although not nearly as dense. The light golden color was also enjoyable and refined. The review mentioned a long lasting taste and I have to say that I agree. The smooth blend of flavors continued to linger longer than I expected (definitely a plus!). Overall I thought this was a good wine that I enjoyed mostly due to the texture and smooth balance rather than the flavors, which seemed pretty normal.

Tasted without food

No comments:

Post a Comment